Thursday, January 6, 2011

127 Hours- My Thoughts.

I want to buy Aron Ralston a beer. This dude got his hand trapped under a boulder miles and miles away from anyone and all he had was a shitty little knife, some rope, a harness, and a video camera. He was trapped for five days. FIVE FUCKING DAYS. He finally freed himself by cutting off his forearm. This dude cut.his.own.arm.off. SAY WHAT?!?!?! Someone get this man a shot of Jack Daniels. He fucking deserves it.

Danny Boyle's interpretation of Aron's Story is what I like to call a cinematic orgasm. Boyle jizzed emotion all over this fucking thing. We know the magnitude of the situation this dude is in. He knows the instant that he can't move the boulder that he is trapped. I felt Boyle went a little over board in some of the flashbacks. I hated the one at the Utah Jazz basketball game where his girlfriend turns to him with tears in her eyes and says something like, "You're going to be alone forever Aron." To me it was cheesy. It was overdramatic and took me out of the movie at times. I don't need to see a little boy standing in a pool of sunshine to feel hopeful for Aron. That scene made me laugh. This kid sitting on a couch starring at Aron and willing him to live. Gag me with a fucking spoon. We all know how this story ends. I would much rather have James Franco and a video camera. The best moments of the movie are when James Franco is talking to the video camera. We see a real human who is coming to turns with death, yet still tries to be upbeat and even comical at times. James Franco does an excellent job of taking advantage of the intimate moments in the film. When he records messages on his video camera he tries to come off as upbeat when it's clear that he is teetering on the verge of breaking down. You see someone who always wants to appear to be brave when in reality is scared shitless. Franco shined in those moments.
I was so relieved when Aron finally decided to cut his arm off. I couldn't sit and watch someone die anymore. His suffering was killing me. Roger Ebert said something about it that really struck me. He said:

"Pain and bloodshed are so common in the movies. They are rarely amped up to the level of reality, because we want to be entertained, not sickened. We and the heroes feel immune. '127 Hours' removes the filters. It implicates us. By identification, we are trapped in the canyon, we are cutting into our own flesh. One element that film can suggest but not evoke is the brutality of the pain involved. I can't even imagine what it felt like. Maybe that made it easier for Ralston, because in one way or another, his decision limited the duration of his suffering."


At that point there really wasn't anything else he could do to survive. If I were in that situation I don't know if I could make that choice. I really want to shake Aron's hand. He's a courageous guy with a great story to tell.

Overall the movie was good, but not life changing like some are making it out to be. I don't think James Franco should win the Oscar for it. I think Colin Firth of Jesse Eisenberg will probably walk away with the trophy. Should Danny Boyle win for Best Director? No. Not at all. Have you seen the movie? What did you think?

Best,
Jamie

1 comment:

  1. Danny Boyle can definitely have his self indulgent moments when directing. Slumdog Millionaire brought out his strengths and his many weaknesses. That being said I still really want to see 127 hours and despite is faults Boyle always makes an interesting film at the very least. Can we please talk about how fucking weird it is that Franco is hosting and very likely will be nominated for this performance? At least we know he won't win because that would be even stranger.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete